Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
What if you are attacked by link spam?
Its a hypothetical question. If you are attacked by any spammer or a competitor, who is building irrelevant links or spammy links to your site then what will be your strategy to counter it?

I know some guys whose sites were attacked in the same way. So, I am concerned about these things.
[-] The following 2 users Like lammao's post:
  • rasel758220, sanjidayasmin
The answer to your this query will be the same as the previous thread you started.

Use disavow tool plain and simple. The tool disavow links to its root level so adding one domain will just cancel out all the links from it.
Hello Friends,

I wouldn't worry that much for those links as long as you find them spammy probably Google will consider them as spam and don't consider them when ranking your page.
Only if you consider that those links are hurting your rankings use the disavow tool.
On one hand, Google (though their spokesman) said that the algorithm is pretty good finding and diminishing the strength of spammy links. So, if you talk to someone from Google right now, they might say: leave them, probably the algorithm will consider those as spammy and there will be no harm.

I hope it helps.
(12-18-2019, 04:55 AM)lammao Wrote: Its a hypothetical question. If you are attacked by any spammer or a competitor, who is building irrelevant links or spammy links to your site then what will be your strategy to counter it?

I know some guys whose sites were attacked in the same way. So, I am concerned about these things.

Problem is, if the victim is proactive, and knows they’re under attack, they’ll use tools like Kerboo LinkRisk, Moz Pro’s Spam Score, Link Detox, etc. to analyze their profiles and disavow the craptastic stuff.
If you got YOURSELF into a penalty, you’d use these sorts of tools to find your naughty links, get toxic ones removed, disavow the ones you couldn’t, and get any paid links you wanted to keep no-follow.
Once a link is gone, it can’t hurt you, right?

It probably can. Here’s what seems to happen:
  • Google crawls a page with a link on it on some other site
  • The page starts to 404, or maybe the site starts returning a 500 or 502 error
  • In general, when this happens, Google (rightly, I say) thinks that the problem is probably temporary, and eventually, the page will be fixed…and until then, it can think about the page as if it has the same content on it that it saw last time it successfully fetched the page.
Local SEO | Local SEO Services[url=https://www.seoninja.com][/url]
(12-18-2019, 10:45 AM)seoninja Wrote: Problem is, if the victim is proactive, and knows they’re under attack, they’ll use tools like Kerboo LinkRisk, Moz Pro’s Spam Score, Link Detox, etc. to analyze their profiles and disavow the craptastic stuff.
If you got YOURSELF into a penalty, you’d use these sorts of tools to find your naughty links, get toxic ones removed, disavow the ones you couldn’t, and get any paid links you wanted to keep no-follow.
Once a link is gone, it can’t hurt you, right?

It probably can. Here’s what seems to happen:
  • Google crawls a page with a link on it on some other site
  • The page starts to 404, or maybe the site starts returning a 500 or 502 error
  • In general, when this happens, Google (rightly, I say) thinks that the problem is probably temporary, and eventually, the page will be fixed…and until then, it can think about the page as if it has the same content on it that it saw last time it successfully fetched the page.

Don't unnecessarily confuse OP.

If a link is identified as bad then just disavow the link or the domain, that's it.
In today's world where search engines can identify low quality or spammy links. It is extremely difficult for anyone to give his or her competitor a penalty by creating naughty links. Unless they are using some kind of automated or bot configured program to generate links. Which again sooner or later will be identified and removed all at once by the search engines. So, keep the hypothesis in books and work in the real world.
I would use the Google Disavow tool and neutralize the effect of those bad links on my site.
If a competitor still builds bad links pointing to your website, you can take help of legal ways to solve the issue if intent with the guilty.
I also use Google Disavow tool to remove spammy links from my website. It takes time but is very useful and effective.
(12-18-2019, 04:55 AM)lammao Wrote: Its a hypothetical question. If you are attacked by any spammer or a competitor, who is building irrelevant links or spammy links to your site then what will be your strategy to counter it?

You can use disavow tool to remove all spam links. Simple
You can use Google Disavow tool