Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
How to reduce file size?
My WP site has 7 pages total and about 12-14 images. Max image size is 300kb
But the file size is over 350MB.
When I tried to transfer the site to another host using a plugin, it says the file size is huge so it can't transfer unless I buy upgrade.

Now I'm wondering what made it so big in size!

Your suggestion will be highly appreciated.
(04-05-2020, 11:48 AM)Motions Wrote: My WP site has 7 pages total and about 12-14 images. Max image size is 300kb
When I tried to transfer the site to another host using a plugin, it says the file size is huge so it can't transfer unless I buy upgrade.

Sorry, I didn't understand your query here. What do you mean by 'file size' here? Is your database size 350mb long?
(04-05-2020, 12:12 PM)mediamonster Wrote: Sorry, I didn't understand your query here. What do you mean by 'file size' here? Is your database size 350mb long?

I mean the total file size in my cpanel. The WP migration plugin detects the size of my site database in my webhost is over 350MB.
Which is why it's unable to migrate my site to another host.
(04-05-2020, 03:43 PM)Motions Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 12:12 PM)mediamonster Wrote: Sorry, I didn't understand your query here. What do you mean by 'file size' here? Is your database size 350mb long?

I mean the total file size in my cpanel. The WP migration plugin detects the size of my site database in my webhost is over 350MB.
Which is why it's unable to migrate my site to another host.

I don't understand the concept of using any plugin here. Just make a database backup through your cPanel and upload it in the new hosting. Its that simple. And moreover using any script plugin to migrate can damage your database while migrating.

And if I assume that your database only is up around 300mb (& your files of the site is of normal size). Then I will say that its way too much big for a 7 page site. You have to check your database table by table its the only option here. You must look for something that records the sessions or take the log records of bots or whatever coming to your site. Its highly likely that your database isn't able to get rid of the unused and irrelevant data records. Or, simple it isn't functioning properly.
[-] The following 2 users Like mediamonster's post:
  • Motions, supaul
(04-05-2020, 11:48 AM)Motions Wrote: My WP site has 7 pages total and about 12-14 images. Max image size is 300kb

Make sure first that its your database that is responsible for this kind of absurd size. The reason I am saying this because many times people look into the cPanel and see a huge size, and they just assume that its their database.

But the real reason behind is that they are using plugins which they never use, outdated plugins which are never update & yet still they are installed, plugins which have no importance or relevance to the functioning of their site but once they have installed it they haven't got rid of them thinking that at some point in the future they might need them etc.

And also don't rely on cPanel (specially the data that is shown in the main page of it)too much. Get a FTP client such as Filezilla and download all of your files. Get a backup of your database through cPanel or use services like phpmyadmin within it(cPanel) to do it. Check for yourself which is what.
First check which part of your site is large in size? Is it the database or the files!!

Then check why it is large?? You may have to check column by column or line by line, but that's the only way to know for sure and also so it can be prevented in the near future.
Thanks all for your suggestions.

Great helps always.